portsnap failing

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 15:47:00 PST 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 03:19, Ashley Moran wrote:
> On Saturday 25 February 2006 03:07, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
> > Why are you deleting the portsnap files. That's a 39 MB file that
> > you have to download everytime you do that. The idea is to just
> > download the patches necessary to update the ports tree after
> > 'portsnap fetch', 'portsnap install' has been run once. After that,
> > all you need to do is run 'portsnap fetch update', you'll get
> > plenty of action from that. I think by now you're going to have to
> > remove the ports tree and start over. Why not do it an easier way.
>
> I deleted the portsnap files because the incremental update didn't
> work, so I wanted to know if it would work from scratch.  I'm not in
> a habit of deleting them every time I update the ports tree!  For
> some reason though, neither works now, although they fail in
> (apparently) different ways.
>
> Ashley

That file you were missing, lives in /var/db/portsnap/files/ , did you
look there to see if it was there or not?

Did you do anything to the setup of portsnap?

Did you somehow, happen to install portsnap from the ports system?

A dumb question I know, but it's got to be asked. did you make any
changes to /etc/portsnap.conf?

Just what portsnap files did you delete?

How did you use portsnap, any options when you ran it?

Just a funny thought: do you have defaultrouter="some IP address"
in /etc/rc.conf.

One final thought, did portsnap ever work for you?

Don