Help with IP Filter 4.1.8

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Feb 26 13:52:52 PST 2006

Roman Serbski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having a problem with ipf after recent upgrade to 6.1-PRERELEASE.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.8 (416)
> Kernel: IP Filter: v4.1.8
> Running: yes
> Log Flags: 0 = none set
> Default: pass all, Logging: available
> Active list: 0
> Feature mask: 0xa
>
> I am trying to allow outgoing dns requests from my server to DNS
> server of ISP. Here is my ruleset:
>
> ipfstat -oh
> 0 pass out quick on lo0 from any to any
> 0 pass out quick on xl0 proto tcp from any to any port = domain flags
> S/FSRPAU keep state
> 1 pass out quick on xl0 proto udp from any to any port = domain keep state
> 0 block out log quick on xl0 all
>
> ipfstat -ih
> 0 pass in quick on lo0 from any to any
> 0 block in quick on xl0 all

Could you change your last rule to this:

block in log quick on xl0 all

and then tell what you see in the log. This would give some information
if any traffic is blocked in the first place. Actually, adding the log
keyword to all rules for the xl0 interface might be a good idea for
debugging.

Also, is this the complete ruleset or did you remove rules you thought
were irrelevant? If so, then post the whole ruleset.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt