Startup script

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Feb 26 13:51:24 PST 2006

--On February 26, 2006 9:54:45 PM +0100 Joacim Melin <listor at melin.org>
wrote:

> And if there isn't any /etc/rc.local I just create one and put stuff  in
> there?

No, no, no....when you install ports, their scripts are installed in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/.  System daemons are installed in /etc/rc.d/.  You
should never have to write a startup script for a port you install.  We
maintainers are responsible for doing that.  If a port doesn't install a
daemon, there may not be a startup script.  In that case, you can write
one.  Read man (8) rc.d and man (8) rc.subr for details.  Rc.local is
deprecated and seldom needs to be used (although it's still available.)

After you install a port, go read the script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  It
will tell you what the options are that you can put into /etc/rc.conf.  In
most cases a simple portname_enable="YES" is all that's needed, but some
will have flags that can be set or other options that you might want to
use.  (The same is true of /etc/rc.d scripts.  E.g. /etc/rc.d/named.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member