setting up french keyboard

Peter petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Sun Feb 26 12:44:35 PST 2006

--- Peter <petermatulis at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> > French
> > > >

> > Try this when X is running:
> > setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout ca -variant basic
>
> Hey!  This works in my X windows (é, è, ç, à, ê, ï) but my
> terminal
> emits beeps.  Is this normal?  Is the an easier way (X gadget) to toggle
> back or do I need to always use the setxkbmap command?
>
> $ setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout ca -variant basic
> $ setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -variant basic

Hmmm.  Looks like my perfectly good French accents in my compose window do
not end up as such when I read them in my browser.  When I reply (what I'm
doing now) they come back to good characters.  Is this normal?  Anyways, I
modified my xorg.conf keyboad section to try to toggle keyboard maps:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc104"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us,ca"
        Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle"
EndSection

Surprisingly, by simply hitting the Right-Alt key I go from us to ca
although hitting the key again has no effect.  Does anyone know how I can
toggle without having to issue commands all the time?