setting up french keyboard

Webster, Andrew awebster at connectalk.com
Fri Feb 24 07:03:18 PST 2006

You can set the LANG environment variable.  For example setting it to
fr_CA.ISO8859-1 will produce French Canadian error messages with
ISO8859-1 characters.
You can see all the available locales with 'locale -a' command.
You might need to change the screen fonts for other languages, but the
default ISO8859-1 set works fine.
Only programs that are locale aware will actually output French, others
will continue to output English.

--
Andrew