CVSUP ?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Feb 23 09:17:11 PST 2006

Chris Maness wrote:

> I have a question in regards to CVSUP.  Does it sometimes not delete
> old files.  I did a sync on my ports.  I built CUPS and the install
> scripts were putting files in the wrong place.  I fixed it by manually
> deleting the cups directory and getting the fresh tarballs from from
> the ports site.  I had just synced two weeks ago.  I just thought this
> behavior was strange.  Can anyone shed light on this?

What is definitely true, is that cvsup will not delete any files *you*
create in the ports tree, and that is a positive feature.  I can't say
whether this was your situation or not, but AFAIK, under normal
circumstances, cvsup will delete files which are deleted from the port,
otherwise many ports would have been afflicted with patches that failed
to disappear when they should.

It'll take a cvsup guru to tell you if there any circumstances in which
that doesn't happen, but you could try the cvsup faq at
http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html and see if that sheds any light.

--Alex