changeing the port of the ftp server

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Thu Feb 23 04:37:06 PST 2006

You would edit /etc/services to change the standard port numbers FTP
uses.
Say change port 20 & 21 to 35520 & 35521.

You also must realize that your public internet users who want to
access
your FTP server must also change their FTP port numbers to the same
ones you used in /etc/services before that can gain access to your FTP
server.

This method is one way to hide your FTP server from attack because you
would only tell your trusted remote users what the new port numbers
are.
All public attackers would be using the standard port 20 & 21 to
attack you.

If you want your public remote users to access your FTP server without
having to know the new port number, then this is no solution for you.

Now I have not heard of any ISP blocking ports 20/21 before, so I am
thinking maybe your firewall is blocking those port number.

What test did you run to verify your ISP is blocking those ports?
Does your ISP usage agreement say those ports are blocked?