Newbie Alert : pkg_add and packages Q (do not want to compile)

Donald J. O'Neill donaldjoneill at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 18:32:55 PST 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 19:58, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've googled. I've read the handbook, I've read "Absolute BSD" and
> still I can't understand FreeBSD Ports/Packages esp when it comes to
> upgrading via packages. I'm from a Linux (gentoo linux) background so
> I'm not a rough diamond.
>
> Problem statement.
> FreeBSD-Release-6
> Install from minimal cd (and packages added via FTP)
> i've done cvsup (cvsup -L2 -h
> cvsup.tw.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/ports-supfile)
>
> pkg_version -v states that I have a few packages which can be
> upgraded. eg:
> xterm-203      <   needs updating (port has 206_1)
>
> $pkg_add -vr xterm
> pkg_add: unable to fetch
> 'ftp://ftp.tw.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/xt
>erm.tbz' by URL
>
> $pkg_add -vr  x11/xterm
> pkg_add: unable to fetch
> ftp://ftp.tw.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/x11
>/xterm.tbz' by URL
>
> ftp into it, it's listed via with it's suffix. (google found that
> "for some odd reason, pkg_add doesn't add the suffix")
>
> $pkg_add -vr x11/xterm-206_1
> pkg_add: package 'xterm-206_1' or its older version already installed
>
> So.. How do I install it?
>
> $pkg_delete xterm-203
> pkg_delete: package 'xterm-203' is required by these other packages
> xorg-clients-6.8.2

pkg_delete -f xterm-203
cd /usr/ports/x11/xterm
make install

This will handle that problem for you.

> So.. That can't be done. What can I do to upgrade my packages?
>
> I've even tried sysinstall but that only lists xterm-203 as the
> package to install. (I suspect this is because its packagesite is
> packages-6-release)
>
> $export | grep -i pack
> declare -x
> PACKAGESITE="ftp://ftp.tw.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages
>-6-stable/"
>
> In gentoo, it's a simple "emerge xterm" and all will be done
> automatically. (Granted, this is compile from source and not from
> binary packages, which I know can do "cd /usr/ports/x11/xterm && make
> install clean", but since FreeBSD has binary packages, I rather use
> that)
>

> Thanks

What you are trying to do is update using downloaded packages and that
is going to work for you. You need to upgrade those packages using the
ports system.

You really need to look at the Handbook. That's why it was written.

Available packages are not as up to date as the ports system is.

Don