anyone using voip?

Ken Stevenson ken at allenmyland.com
Wed Feb 22 10:35:55 PST 2006

Peter wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking for comments from people who are using a voip solution
> with FreeBSD.  The archives of this group show mixed results.  I see there
> is a skype port available.  To me that implies that this is possible.
> What of hardware?  USB phones?
>
> --
> Peter

I've started playing around with it at home.

I installed the asterisk port on FreeBSD and downloaded the free
Counterpath X-Lite softphone for XP. Using a headset (Plantronics
USB), I've gotten as far as calling the asterisk demo on my server.

I got an account on FWD (Free World Dialup) for testing, and also
downloaded and registered with Skype.

Check out voip-info.org as a resource.

As far as hardware, you might want to look at SNOM phones or Polycom
phones for SIP based IP phones, and Sipura as an ATA to use with
standard phones.

Here's an article on how one guy setup asterisk for use at home:

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/voip.ars

--
Ken Stevenson
Allen-Myland Inc.