problem regarding setting DISPLAY env variable and hostname

Rob rob at roblytle.org
Wed Feb 22 10:18:44 PST 2006

I have been trying to figure out how to set the display name on my computer.  I have a program used with Xorg
that gives me the error message:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for xenon:6000: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
Error: Can't open display: xenon:0.0

also when starting or stopping Xorg I either get:

bad display name "xenon:0" in "remove" command    or
bad display name "xenon:0  in "list" command

I have my XDISPLAY env variable set using (in Bash):

DISPLAY=xenon:0.0 export DISPLAY

xenon is the name of the machine

I think part of the problem is the setting of the hostname.  This laptop runs off of DHCP
and I am not really sure about what I should do for setting the hostname.  The manual says
to set HOSTNAME="" in rc.conf if using DHCP, but then I get the amnesiac message upon boot.
Sendmail doesn't like that either and hangs during the boot process.  So I just set it
arbitrarily to "xenon"

I have read manual pages, searched the archives, but I am really confused about all of this.
Thank you for any help.

Sincerely,

Rob Lytle