using Realplayer codecs with mplayer

Andrew andrew.chace at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:19:41 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 19:04 -0500, Robert Huff wrote:
> Andrew writes:
>
> >  So, I suppose my question is: Will mplayer, if set up correctly,
> >  play realaudio files,
>
> 	I believe I have done so - by accident - within the past 24
> hours.  Which realmedia type and version I cannot remember.
> 	However, even so I would default to RealPlayer 10 (even under
> comaptibility) over mplayer.
>

> 				Robert Huff

Well, yes, RealPlayer works great for playing streams, but the ultimate
goal is to archive audio streams; i.e. download, and re-encode them in
another format. This is, admittedly, somewhat of a gray area, but I
cannot see it as being immoral if they are for my personal use.

I have done it with Slackware, mplayer, and realplayer, but I'd rather
not have another OS around just for this (seemingly) simple task.

-Andrew