using Realplayer codecs with mplayer

Andrew andrew.chace at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:59:57 PST 2006

Hello,

Please correct me if this is not the best place to post this question;
it wasn't clear to me if it belonged on the 'multimedia' list or not...

I'd like to be able to use mplayer to play Realmedia files (more
specifically, streaming audio), but I can't seem to get it working under
FreeBSD. I have mplayer, realplayer and the win32-codecs ports
installed. mplayer and realplayer both work great, but mplayer refuses
to play Realaudio streams. It fails with the error:

Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load:
avisynth.dll,/usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll,/usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll

On a hunch, I grabbed the latest (stable) codecs from mplayerhq.hu, and
extracted them into /usr/local/lib/win32, but it doesn't include this
dll either.

So, I suppose my question is: Will mplayer, if set up correctly, play
realaudio files, or is this not possible since realplayer is being run
under Linux emulation?

Thanks for any info or pointers to relevant posts or documentation...

-Andrew