Making APC 500 Back UPS (basic) work with FreeBSD

Donald J. O'Neill donaldjoneill at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:37:24 PST 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 11:46, Ian Lord wrote:

> Lol in my own opinion, if the user that asked the question can't
> figure out there is a usb/serial port on the unit (I took the
> assumption as true :) I can hardly see how he would manage to compile
> and configure apcupsd :)

What can I say. There are people like that. You read what they say and
feel there's something wrong, something doesn't ring true. They haven't
done something, they don't know about something, etc. I think it can be
said: "I know enough from what you've said to be dangerous." I think I
should say instead: "Sure I can help you, but if you didn't know enough
to tell me everything I needed to know, my advice may possibly melt
your cpu, warp your harddrive, remove your ram, and if that isn't
enough, install an unremovable bios from 1975."

The OP hasn't said anything back yet, which leads me to wonder: did he
go to sleep, is he paying attention, is he now too embarrassed to say
anything, or is he stuck trying to see whats on the APC unit and he put
it in a place that's hard to see.

Don