sshd max users

Ken Stevenson ken at allenmyland.com
Tue Feb 21 10:25:09 PST 2006

Sean Murphy wrote:
> It seems I cannot connect to my server through sshd when there are 10
> processes running of sshd.  My ssh client immediately terminates.  If I
> kill one of the ssh processes I am able to login through ssh.  Is there
> a max user setting?
>
> Thanks

There's a MaxStartups parameter in /etc/ssh/sshd_config that limits
the number of unauthenticated connections. It defaults to 10.

Try increasing it and see if it fixes the problem. I don't think it's
a good idea to indiscriminately increase this parameter, but it may
help you diagnose what's going on.

--
Ken Stevenson
Allen-Myland Inc.