Making APC 500 Back UPS (basic) work with FreeBSD

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 08:35:50 PST 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 09:53, Ian Lord wrote:
> At 10:32 2006-02-21, Peter wrote:
> >--- Ian Lord <lordi at msdi.ca> wrote:

> > > ?

> > > grateful.

> > > How do you think freebsd will know the ups is
> > > about to stop providing energy if the ups has no serial or usb
> > > port ?
> > >
> > > :)
> >
> >Maybe he can try using the ESP protocol?
>
> Not too sure what you are talking about, the only esp protocol I know
> is for encryption during a vpn connection... But basically, this ups
> is so "dumb" the only connection between the pc and the ups is
> through the power cable... Unless you find a way to communicate
> through that, there is no way you can know there is a power outage
> (lol unless there is a speaker and you use a microphone to listen for
> the alarm :)

I think in this case, he was referring to extra sensory perception. But,
since this is evidently a model that just sits there and supplies
backup power until the battery is too depleted to AC power to the
computer at an acceptable level, and at that point the computer shuts
off. I would say this model is not capable of esp.

Don