Path And 'cron'

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Mon Feb 20 08:21:36 PST 2006

Randy Pratt wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:25:49 -0600
> Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:
>

>>Where is the default path for cron jobs established? (And can it
>>be changed...)
>>

> Take a look at:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-cron.html
>
> and see if that answers your question.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Randy
> --

Well ... it answered my question partially.  But as I looked back over
it, I realized my central questions are still unanswered:

   If I do not have a PATH= statement in a particular user's crontab,
   what is used for a default PATH?

   Is the path in /etc/crontab inherited somehow?

   Given that the default shell is /bin/sh, are the settings
   in /etc/profile observed?  If no PATH is established there either,
   what will cron use?

I am trying to determine the best place to establish correct global
PATH settings for all cron users so I don't have to edit each users'
crontab file when file locations are updated or changed.

TIA,

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com