Multiple DNS

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Sat Feb 18 23:43:54 PST 2006

Hi,

I am looking for some advice. I have a network which is based on a
number of servers running FreeBsd 6.0 serving Win XP work stations. (yes
I know but..) The network is large enough to use DHCP and DNS for the
internal network, I have setup a DHCP server with a Dynamic DNS (Bind 9)
on one of the servers. That server is handling the LDAP side of the
domain.

There appears to be a fair bit of DNS Traffic which leads to a secondary
DNS being required to take some of the load as DNS lookup are slow. The
question I have is should I just setup a cashing DNS on another server
using the primary as a forwarder or even several servers eg the mail
server and the secondary LDAP server, or should I setup a proper
secondary DNS using my ISP as a forwarder with dynamic updates from the
primary.

Sorry if this is a bit vague, but I have no experience in this area.

Rob