Issues with new soundcard

David LeCount snailboy1 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 18:40:14 PST 2006

I just got a new motherboard (Tyan S2895) with a
soundcard built in. I really don't have any choice at
the time but to use that soundcard since there isn't a
free PCI slot for my old one. The card is detected by
the module snd_ich and I can play music and adjust the
mixer with no errors, but there is simply no volume
whatsoever. I've checked to make sure my sound system
was connected properly and that both the main and pcm
volumes were turned up. The card is enabled in the
CMOS. I've ran out of ideas. I'm running FreeBSD 6
stable updated just today. Here's the output from cat
/dev/sndstat.

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <nVidia nForce4> at io 0x1800, 0x1400 irq 22
bufsz 16384 kld snd_ich (1p/1r/4v channels duplex
default)

I appreciate any help.