daily security output usr/src should be gid = 9 = man

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Feb 17 08:13:09 PST 2006

> Hi,
>
> is this the right behaviour that /usr/src should be labeled with gid
> 9 which is the group man? When I label /usr/src with the group wheel
> I get a daily security output like this:

When you say 'label' do you mean using chown or chgrp?

> Checking special files and directories.
> Output format is:
> 	filename:
> 		criteria (shouldbe, reallyis)
> usr/src:
> 	gid (9, 0)
>
> When I label it with gid 9 which is the group man I don't get a
> security hint. But why would or should I label /usr/src with group-
> privilegies man?
>
> Is this the default behaviour? I'm running FreeBSD RELENG_6_0

My /usr/src directory is root:wheel - eg UID root,  GID wheel
on each of the FreeBSD versions I have handy to look at which
includes 6.0.

Your daily security output may just be telling you that it
changed to something from the GID of 9 that it was the last
time it checked.    I don't know of any other reason it would
point that out.

////jerry