getty repeating to quickly

Ken Stevenson ken at allenmyland.com
Fri Feb 17 06:01:26 PST 2006

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>    I've got a box running 6.0-RELEASE. I'm trying to hook serial
> consoles in to it, and have set up /etc/ttys and /boot/device.hints to
> allow me to do this. Yet, in /var/log/messages i keep seeing this error:
>
> "Init: getty repeating to quickly on port /dev/ttyd0, sleeping 30 secs"
>
> This is a repeating msg and i never get my serial console. I've
> confirmed that the port is showing up via dmesg, the system's bios has
> it on the correct i/o address and irq, and the pnp option is turned off.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I believe the message means that
getty is starting, immediately crashing, and then respawning, over and
over. The OS then throttles that process to avoid consuming too many
resources.

I got the same error when I was trying to get mgetty to work with PPP.
After I fixed my configuration problems, the problem went away.

--
Ken Stevenson
Allen-Myland Inc.