NVidia GeForce 6600 problems

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Fri Feb 17 03:35:55 PST 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:12:41 -0300
Alejandro Pulver <alejandro at varnet.biz> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:39:19 -0300
> Alejandro Pulver <alejandro at varnet.biz> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:05:14 +0000
> > Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> > > I have a 6600 with FreeBSD 5.4 XOrg 6.8.2 but still
> > > nvidia-driver-1.0.7676_1.  I have an occasional problem where the
> > > whole screen is shifted left on startup, but exiting and
> > > restarting X fixes it.  You could try downgrading to an older
> > > nvidia-driver and see if it helps.  Portdowngrade should do that,
> > > but I've never used it myself.
> > >
> > > You may have more luck if you try the nvidia support forum.
> > > Definitely slower than this mailing list but someone from nvidia
> > > was reading it, last time I used it.
> > >
> > > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47
> > >
> > > --Alex
> > >

> > Hello,
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > I have recently (started yesterday, and finishing yoday) upgraded my
> > ports (including Xorg -> 6.9). If the problems persist I will try
> > the old dirver and post information about the error in the NVidia
> > forums.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Ale
>
> Hello again,
>
> I have discovered the problem: the lock of the AGP slot wasn't on
> (when I changed the video card I forgot the lock isn't automatic as
> the one in the memory slots).
>
> I noticed this when the card was disconnected completely (it has a
> cooler, so I guess the vibration did it). Once I rebooted and the
> screen was black (the integrated video card was used instead of the
> NVidia). Other time I saw the kernel message indicating the card was
> detached and instantly detected again.
>
> Best Regards,
> Ale

Well, that was part of the problem, but I still have errors with one
OpenGL application (I have tested others like Doom III and Enemy
Territory and didn't cause this): a Quake II engine called QuDos.
Sometimes I get the following:

Program output (QuDos):

Received signal 11, exiting...
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation) Major opcode of failed request:  135
(XFree86-VidModeExtension) Minor opcode of failed request:  10
(XF86VidModeSwitchToMode) Value in failed request:  0x1200002
  Serial number of failed request:  35768

NVidia kernel module output:

NVRM: Xid: 8, Channel 00000002
NVRM: Xid: 27,  L1 -> L0