Mysterious reboot

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Feb 16 12:58:16 PST 2006

On 2006-02-16 14:32, Mike Loiterman <mike at ascendency.net> wrote:
> Wouter Spierenburg <mailto:wouter at spierenburg.net> wrote:
> > Try adding the following to /etc/sysctl.conf:
> >
> > kern.maxfiles=65535
> > kern.maxfilesperproc=20000
> > net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
> > net.inet.ip.maxfragpackets=10
> > kern.ipc.somaxconn=2048
> >
> > then 'cd' to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> > cp GENERIC SERVER
> > vi SERVER
> >
> > and add the following lines at the bottom of the file:
> > options         TCPDEBUG
> > options         RANDOM_IP_ID
> > options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
> > options         NMBCLUSTERS=65535
> > options         NMBUFS=40960
> >
> > save the file, and follow these steps:
> >
> > /usr/sbin/config -g SERVER
> > cd ../../compile/SERVER
> > make depend
> > make
> > make install
> > #if all went well:
> > reboot
> >
> > The system will then come back up with tuned parameters, allowing more
> > in/outbound connections and better packethandling.
>
> Before I make these changes, I would like to just get a second opinion from
> the list about their value and what impact, if any, they might have on
> system stability, compatibility, etc.
>
> Wouter, please do not take offense to this!  I sincerely appreciate your
> advice, but this is a production system, so I'm careful about what changes I
> make when I don't explicitly understand what is going on.  I'm not familure
> with a few of those options.

I'm not sure if the options are useful for your setup, so I'm not going
to comment for or against them.

> I also noticed that that you used the old (traditional) way of recompiling
> the kernel.  Is that necessary or can I use the newer `make buildkernel
> KERNCONF=x && make installkernel KERNCONF=x'.  I'm simply more comfortable
> with that way...

If you have the original object tree around, you should definitely use
the new way:

    # cd /usr/src/
    # make KERNCONF=SERVER buildkernel

This uses the build tools from /usr/obj, which is more appropriate.