pop3 server recommendation (APOP/TLS)

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Thu Feb 16 11:40:38 PST 2006

John wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 06:08:10AM -0600, J.D. Bronson wrote:
>> I am looking for a recommendation for a pop3 server
>> that can do APOP and TLS on port 110.
>>
>> Qpopper was a disaster and I am not interested in cyrus (and dealing
>> with maildirs)...
>>
>> Is there any other option?
>>
>> Qpopper worked with some of the clients (like eudora) but then had
>> issues with  Thunderbird or Pegasus......
>
> What issues did you have? Has been working fine here with thunderbird
> for a long time.

humm.

I can get APOP to work....but when I enable SSL I then see issues.
It seems to me that thunderbird tried some different auth than I was
allowing. I dont recall as I tried so many different POP3 servers.

I will try it again someday and post more concrete answers.

I had trouble getting pegasus/eudora/thunderbird mail all to work with
qpopper (APOP/TLS) over port 110.

-JD