Mysterious reboot

Mike Loiterman mike at ascendency.net
Wed Feb 15 23:46:22 PST 2006

Afte being up for more than two months, I just noticed that my ver reliable
and stable server mysteriously rebooted.  I've had the same hardware and
system setup for more than a year and haven't ever experienced anything like
this before.  I haven't added any new hardware in a very long time.  I did
upgrade mysql this morning via portupgrade, however.

The system appears to have crashed, as dmesg shows that the various
filesystems weren't unmounted correctly upon reboot, but aside from that
single error, nothing else points to what the problem was.

/var/log/messages just shows a user connectig via pop, and then the next
line is the machine booting.

We are having a pretty good rainstorm, but nothing else seems to have lost
power and I have several other machines in this space that did not go down
(servers, TVs, XBOX, laptops, etc).

The machine seems to have gone down around 11:23 PM, so I checked /etc/cron
to see if I had scheduled a job to be run at that time, but there are no
jobs scheduled to be run on or near this time.

Where can I begin to look for more clues as to why this machine seems to
have crashed?  Where would a kernel core dump be or a mysql core dump?

Mike Loiterman
grantADLER
Tel: 630-302-4944
Fax: 773-442-0992