natd with several alias IPs

bob at a1poweruser.com bob at a1poweruser.com
Wed Feb 15 16:50:02 PST 2006

I am not a ipfw expert. The truth of it is I was a ipfw user before
I added a LAN behind my gateway box. Ipfw does it's nating from
within ipfw and that it what makes ipfw nating so hard to get right.
It's even harder if you use keep state processing.  Ipfilter and PF
do the nating separate from the firewall so the firewall always sees
the true LAN packets. For that reason I now use ipfilter. Your ipfw
question may get better answers from the ipfw questions list. In
reading your original post it was not clear to me that you had to do
this using ipfw. I read it as you were asking if it could be done at
all. Using alias ip's is not the correct term I believe.
Good luck finding a ipfw solution.