ethernet Interface haywire ???

brent brent at jeneral.com
Wed Feb 15 16:11:17 PST 2006

Has anyone run into this scenario where a BSD Box (RELENG_5_4) takes down
the whole subnet for only FreeBSD boxes. Here’s the scenario: One of my
web servers goes into a crazy state which kills all traffic on the network
for only FreeBSD boxes.  Linux boxes can talk to other linux boxes, but
FreeBSD boxes are dead. You can ping a FreeBSD box (from linux) but services
such as SSH go half-way and never completely connect. Other services such as
http don’t work either.  Rebooting that offending box fixes the problem.
I’ve seen this once it a great moon; however, it recently happened two
days in a row. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I have other
RELENG_5_4 and RELENG_6_0 boxes that don’t seem to be the culprit, as well
as an identical hardware box running RELENG_6_0. Thanks.