core dump with dump command in single user mode

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Wed Feb 15 06:53:37 PST 2006

On Feb 14, 2006, at 5:46 PM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> writes:

>>> Those directions are a little outdated, but the problem is really
>>> just
>>> that you didn't follow the directions closely enough:

>>> should have been more like
>>>
>>> dump -0f - /usr | (cd /backup/usr;restore -xf - )
>>

>> Okay, I'm still getting:
>>

>> no space left in string table
>> abort?
>>
>> If I say "n", it just core dumps....
>
> Funny, I can't find that message in the source for dump at all.
> The message, in -STABLE, is "Do you want to abort dump?".
>
> I also can't seem to find the string table error message, but I may
> just have failed to search the right library so far.
>
> Are you running something before 5.2?

I'm running 5.4. Perhaps restore is generating this particular error
message? I don't know.

>> Any other suggestions?
>
> Plenty.  If there are no special files (fifos, etc.) on the disk, any
> archiver will do it.  e.g., tar(1)
>
>>                        Would using "dd" be a valid workaround to
>> cloning my disk?
>
> Sure.  If you really want a *clone* of the disk, it's a good option.
> If having the same data files in the same filestructure would do, then
> copying other attributes is overkill.

I may have to go this route, see if I can put together the disk space
to manage this. Is there a way to get tar to just extract directly to
a destination directory so I don't have to contend with a single
large tarball I need to create disk space for?

>>                  My disk is over a 100 gigabytes, could this be what
>> is causing dump to crap out?
>
> Could be.  Check your memory statistics while you're doing it, and see
> if you run out of VM.

What is a good strategy for dealing with this possibility, should I
go down that path?

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe at netmusician.org