Identity for HELO in sendmail

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Tue Feb 14 22:09:11 PST 2006

I have set sendmail for masquerading with the lines:

FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
MASQUERADE_AS(`internode.on.net')
FEATURE(`genericstable')
GENERICS_DOMAIN(`alpha.home')

in the .mc configuration file (alpha.home.mc).

I can now send e-mails using the standard 'mail' utility
to most destinations but apparently 'alpha.home' is still used as
the source domain in the HELO command and as this just my
private hostname for the machine it is not known at the
receiving end in spite of the FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
which I naively expected to be applied here.

Some sites not finding a valid host name here will reject the
mail, EG when using send-pr I get the following:

... while talking to mx1.freebsd.org.:
>>> DATA
<<< 450 <alpha.home>: Helo command rejected: Host not found
<FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org>... Deferred: 450 <alpha.home>:
Helo command rejected: Host not found
<<< 554 Error: no valid recipients

How do I get sendmail to use a valid host name such as
"internode.on.net"?

Help would be much appreciated,

Malcolm Kay