Samba port

Ugo Bellavance ugob at camo-route.com
Tue Feb 14 14:27:41 PST 2006

Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 03:31:02PM -0500, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 	I'm rather new to FreeBSD (I usually use linux and I'm trying Fbsd.  I
>> upgraded my samba port yesterday, but after, I couldn't reconnect to it.
>>  I found out that the upgrade (using cvsup/portupgrade) removed smb.conf
>> and stopped smb and cups?  Why is it this way?  It is not the only port
>> that gets stopped on an upgrade.  Is that normal?  Shouldn't it at least
>> try to restart?
>
> portupgrade (and portmanager) will try to restart upgraded daemons
> (smbd, exim, or whatever) in order that they run the new code.

Maybe it tried, but the config for samba disappeared.  I don't know why
it didn't restart cups though.

> As far
> as I am aware, an upgraded port should not touch an existing config
> file.  Did you upgrade from version 2 to version 3?  This might account
> for it, but I can't remeber if I had similar problems making that
> particular journey.

No, it was just a security upgrade.

> Anyway, for clues, you can try starting samba directly:
>
>  # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh start
>
> and see what debuggibg you get.

I got it now, I copied the samba conf file, restarted cups, then samba.

> Welcome to FreeBSD, btw.  Hope you stick around!

Hard to tell.  Very different from linux.  I try to learn FreeBSD since
it seems interesting, but I'm meeting many problems that I don't get in
linux.  For example, with yum, up2date or apt, such an upgrade would
have been w/o issue.

--
Ugo

irrelevant parts in your replies.