IPFILTER rule error

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Tue Feb 14 07:36:41 PST 2006

First of all you really need to read the ipfilter section of the
FreeBSD handbook.
The correct solution is exampled in the handbook.
You do not need to compile ipfilter in to the kernel to work.
>From your rules I see no need for that head/group stuff so remove
it.
I see rl0 being assigned to private ip address which means that Nic
is facing your LAN which is behind your gateway box. That ip address
range is not routable on the public internet. You have something
mess up big time.

Your firewall rules is suppose to be on the Nic facing the public
internet.
You nat the public ip address to you private LAN ip address.

The reason you have no log records is because your firewall rules
have syntax error and are never loaded. Only rules with log keyword
will generate log records.
Only use rules with quick option. Do not mix quick and non quick
rules.
You need pass in rules for you ISP's dns and dhcp servers to access
your box.

Explain in detail your network layout.
Do you have LAN?
How are you connected to the public internet?

Again I strongly recommend you read the ipfilter section of the
handbook your answers are there.