Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems

Kirk Davis Kirk.Davis at epsb.ca
Mon Feb 13 13:25:08 PST 2006

Hi Greg,

> I'm trying to set up a FreeBSD 6.0 box as a mail server, and while
> everything seems to be working OK for the most part, I have
> run into two
> issues that I cannot resolve (I'm new to BSD, please bear
> with me). Install
> went as follows:  Installed via FTP last night along with
> "src - Sources for
> everything",
>
> IMAP-UW was compiled via ports with WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT
> enabled (same for
> cclient), OpenSSL, Cyrus-SASL2 & Cyrus-SASL2-saslauthd were
> compiled via
> ports with no flags.
>
> Sendmail was installed with the base install and recompiled
> (after SASL2 was
> up and running) with the following options added to make.conf:
>
> # SASL (cyrus-sasl v2) sendmail build flags...
> SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
> SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
> SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
> # Adding to enable alternate port (smtps) for sendmail...
> SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+= -D_FFR_SMTP_SSL
>
> I followed the instructions I found at
> http://www.bsdconspiracy.net/howto/sendmail.html, and had no
> problems with
> the install except for Sendmail.  After recompiling sendmail,
> I added the
> following lines to the mail.server.mc file:
>
> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
> TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
> define(`CERT_DIR', `/etc/mail/certs')dnl
> define(`confCACERT_PATH', `CERT_DIR')dnl
> define(`confCACERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
> define(`confSERVER_CERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
> define(`confSERVER_KEY', `CERT_DIR/mykey.pem')dnl
> define(`confCLIENT_CERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
> define(`confCLIENT_KEY', `CERT_DIR/mykey.pem')dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl

This is your problem.  The above line sets up the Sendmail daemon to
listen on port 25 but the standard mc file distributed with FreeBSD also
sets up a DAEMON port (it's at the end of the MC file).

Here is what my DAEMON_OPTIONS lines look like.  These should be the
only DAEMON_OPTIONS lines in the mc file.
dnl Enable for both IPv4 and IPv6 (optional)
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv4, Family=inet')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv6, Family=inet6, Modifiers=O')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl

> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl
>
> After running (in /etc/mail) "make clean", "make cf", "make
> install", "make
> restart", SMTP no longer works, and I find the following in
> maillog and
> messages
>
> Feb 12 20:25:55 mail sm-mta[1213]: daemon IPv4: problem
> creating SMTP socket
> Feb 12 20:26:00 mail sm-mta[1213]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
> opendaemonsocket:
> daemon IPv4: cannot bind: Address already in use
>
> When I try and stop sendmail, I get a message that the pid
> for Sendmail
> cannot be found.  I end up killing the missing Sendmail daemon using
> KSysGuard
>
> If I remove this line - "DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,
> Name=MTA')dnl" from the
> mail.server.mc file, make cf, make install, make restart,
> sendmail starts
> normally.  When trying to access from another machine on my
> network, I can
> only connect on port 25 without a secure connection (I'm
> using Thunderbird
> for this), although SMTP-AUTH is working correctly.

Have you tried to setup your mail client to connect to port 465?  This
is the smtps (SMTP SSL) port.

> Any ideas on what I might need to do to get SSL / SMTP-AUTH
> working on SMTP?
>   I took a look at the instructions in the handbook, but they
> were written
> for SASL1.  Running netstat shows smtps listening on 465, but
> when I try to
> telnet to that port, the server drops the connection.

Hmm... It should connect but you will not see anything since it is
expecting an SSL connection.

> My second problem is rather simple, after I create an IMAP
> folder, I am
> unable to delete it using a remote client.  Thunderbird
> responds with "The
> mail server responded: RENAME failed: Can't create mailbox node
> /home/User/Trash/: File exists.  Nothing shows up in any of
> the server logs
> though.

I have not seen this problem although I have it setup for an office of
Outlook users.  I would check the permissions on the folders in the user
home directory.  This is where the IMAP user forlders are by default.  I
usually setup the clients to use the base imap if Mail and then create a
Mail directory in the user home directory.  That way the mail folders
don't get messed up with the user stuff.

> Hopefully this is the right list for these questions, if not,
> could someone
> please direct me to the correct one?  Any advice anyone can
> give me on
> either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

---- Kirk
Kirk Davis
Senior Network Analyst, ITS
Edmonton Public Schools