Device Name & Netgear Router

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Sun Feb 12 13:34:19 PST 2006

Gerard Seibert on 2006-02-12 15:59:33 -0500:

> On the router's configuration screen, under maintenance is a
> "Attached Devices" menu item. This will list all four machines
> connected to the router with their respective MAC
> addresses. However, only the WinXP machines have their 'Device Name'
> listed.
>
> I was wondering why this is. I cannot seem to locate any specific
> information on the Netgear site regarding this. Everything works
> fine, so I assume it is not a serious problem.

DHCP clients may send names along with requests; Windows computers
send whatever name you've configured in the sharing or whatever
section, and this is what you see.  If you want your router to show a
name for the FreeBSD host, put a line that reads 'send host-name
"foo";' in /etc/dhclient.conf on that host.