Dell 530 RAID 5 Recommendations

Matt Sullivan mattsullivan9 at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 11 18:19:53 PST 2006

I am considering using FreeBSD 6 on an old Dell Precision Workstation
530 MT.
It has Dual Xeon 1.5 GHz CPUs, 4 x Fujitsu AIC-7892A MAJ3182M SCSI HDs,
1 GB RDRAM, Nvidia Elsa Gloria II Pro video, Integrated 3Com NIC,
Lynksys Wireless-G USB network adapter, and Integrated
Adaptec AIC-7892 SCSI controller.

I would like to setup RAID 5.  The intended use is in my home network as
a personal SOA/J2EE/MySQL development box and family file server.

Please review and comment on my assumptions:
1) FreeBSD 6-STABLE has fixed any 5.X SMP issues.
2) I will need an additional RAID controller card.
3) FreeBSD has issues similar to the folks at OpenBSD (my firewall OS)
    regarding Adaptec - http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html:
    we do not recommend the Adaptec cards for use.
    * Adaptec AAC-2622, AAC-364, AAC-3642, 2200S, 2410SA, 2610SA,
2810SA, 21610SA

I would appreciate some recommendations with a focus on price/performance.

Thanks,
Matt