SATA RAID0 and Plextor SATA DVD0-RW DRIVE system hang

RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN luck at computerking.ca
Fri Feb 10 16:07:52 PST 2006

HI I am having great difficulty with my SATA DVD-RW drive.  It is a Plextor  PX-716A ver 1.08 and is serial ATA seems to work/detect as acd1 fine before.  However I cannot remember if i could mount it but did not try very hard and do not exactly know what i am doing with dvd-rw and FreeBSD yet.

I compiled atapicam into the Kernel as per the handbook 17.5 the below related options were already there as i am running a Generic Kernel other than atapicam

device scbus
device da
device pass
device uhci
device ohci
device usb
device umass

When i try to boot with the drive plugged in the system hangs while detecting the drives. Must be reset with the drive unplugged to get fbsd back.  Note i tried playing with the bios settings changing from enhanced sata to legacy and some combos of that.  Also tried the  the plug and play os off and then on nothing seemed to make the system boot with drive attached.

I use a INTEL  D925CV2 with built in raid see below about drive configuration ( this is without Plextor drive pluged in ) and a unmame output.

FreeBSD rachel.computerking.ca 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Thu Feb  9 20:37:25 MST 2006     root at rachel.computerking.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CK06020701  i386

acd0: CDRW <HL-DT-ST GCE-8523B/1.01> at ata0-master UDMA33
ad4: 286167MB <Seagate ST3300831AS 3.03> at ata2-master SATA150
ad6: 286167MB <Seagate ST3300831AS 3.03> at ata3-master SATA150
ar0: 572333MB <Intel MatrixRAID RAID0 (stripe 128 KB)> status: READY
ar0: disk0 READY using ad4 at ata2-master
ar0: disk1 READY using ad6 at ata3-master
cd0 at ata0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8523B 1.01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 33.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present - tray closed

am having problems with my plextor dvdr px-716a after adding apticam

--
Computer King/CaNMail

http://www.computerking.ca     http://www.canmail.org

Sales, Service, and Hosting
Email, Data, and Web Packages
Ask about web design specials

Affiliates
http://www.computerking.ca/pages/links/affiliates/affiliates.htm

Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology. -- R. S. Barton