Using dd to Make a Clone of a Drive

Peter petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 10 08:11:39 PST 2006

--- Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> >> Any chance of there being a way like this to restore to windows
> >> systems
> >> from the FreeBSD box?
> >
> > Not really.  I'm far from being a Windows expert though, so YMMV.
>
> As an image?  Look up partimage and partimaged.  We've had some luck
> restoring from both a Linux system running the Partimaged daemon and
> booting from a Linux disk and restoring images off a samba/Windows
> share using partimage.

I intend to use g4u.  I have done some preliminary testing and I am quite
confident that I can upload and download an image.  I am now wondering
about the situation where I need to recreate the partition that is to
contain the image.  It needs to be exactly the same size (sectors) as the
image.  That's what I'm worried about.  Any suggestions?