Mail back-up system

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Wed Feb 8 23:00:15 PST 2006

Hi,

As a sys-admin, I am often bugged by users who had mistakenly deleted
some very important email, and could I recover it from the tape
back-up.

I try to explain to them that back-up is only run once per 24 hours
and maybe their message arrived since the last run, and that tapes are
there to recover disk crash, not user bad moves, it still eats up
quite some amount of my time (and it is a stupid task).

So I came up with a system whereby messages are duplicated on a second
server and users can use a web page to browse that second server and
recover emails.

Kust in case someone maybe interested, the system is explained there:

http://www.cs.ait.ac.th/laboratory/email/mailback.shtml

Bests,

Olivier