showdown transfering files with scp

Bill Schmitt (SW) software at schmittnet.com
Wed Feb 8 12:50:51 PST 2006

mark.jacobs at custserv.com wrote:

>I was using scp to copy several large (300-800mb) each files between two
>Freebsd machines. Both are on the same hub, 100MB Ethernet connection.
>The source box is FreeBSD 5.4 stable at a late October build date. The
>target is running 6.0 stable at a current build date.
>

>The first three files showed a transfer rate of about 3mb/sec and
>transfer took about a 5-7 minutes for each file. After the third one
>however the transfer rate dropped to 100-200 KB/sec. There was nothing
>else going on in the internal network at the time.
>

>Any ideas on what happened?
>

>Mark Jacobs

I can't be sure if it's the issue, but at one point some individuals on
the network where I worked installed hubs of their own (the
non-intelligent variety of connection) and it didn't just slow them
down, it dragged down the entire network segment. Since hubs are not
intelligent, there are an awful lot of collisions and putting a hub
downstream from the routers means that all bets are off on performance.
Hope that helps.