A script for poets

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Feb 8 12:44:07 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:29:21PM +0100, Kristian Vaaf wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Again with my script requests, this time I'm wondering if anybody
> has ever felt like writing a shell script that makes it easy to write
> rhymes,
> poems or just make up funny lines.
>
> http://www.rhymer.com is a great place, but unfortunately it requires
> a browser.
>
> Or maybe this is a feature that extends beyond the purpose of shell
> scripting,
> and that maybe for such I should start looking into languages like Ruby?
>
> Hoping for generous expert advise.

	This may dovetail into something I was actively working on
	several years ago: a C/C++ program that took unmetered text
	as input and output N-syllabic lines as output.

	I created a dictionary of thousands of words with one, two,
	three, or more syllabes in my database.  I played around
	with this idea until I realized that "real" poetry demands
	imagery (metaphor, simile), and not simply meter or rhyme.
	After 7 years of my writing group I've learned how DIFFICULT
	it is to write a good poem.  Or prose.

> Thank you, peasants and poets :)

	I'm closer to being a peasant that poet.

	"I ain't no poet
	And I know it."

	gary

--