[WISH] Linux kernel as drop-in replacement in FreeBSD?

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Wed Feb 8 10:54:22 PST 2006

> That's exactly what I'm doing right now. For example when I need
> to use my Pinnacle DC10+ (Zoran) card, I simply reboot into Gentoo,
> do the capture, and then reboot into FreeBSD to run the rest of
> mjpegtools. Same for MIDI recording etc... or other stuff that's
> currently unavailable within FreeBSD.
>
> The problem with this is that there are two systems to care for:
> my primary FreeBSD environment, and a minimal Gentoo environment
> just for a few programs.

There is another problem with dual-booting.  FreeBSD isn't available
when Linux is running, and visa-versa.  If you have jobs that need to
run at specific times and the machine is running the wrong OS at that
time, you lose.

I suspect that a lot of people only need a driver or two from Linux.
Userland stuff tends to be fairly portable between BSD and Linux.