update problems

Chuck Teal chuck.teal at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 10:26:11 PST 2006

On Wednesday February 8 2006 10:40, Iantcho Vassilev wrote:
> If you haven`t delete the megremaster store directory(usually /var/....)
> just rerun it. - mergemaster
> and ask all the quesions by hand
>
> But first i would suggest to find the problem
>
> On 2/8/06, zhang <zhhw210095 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've just update to 6.1-PRERELEASE from 6.0. Before I mergemaster -cv ,
> > the system could work well . But when I mergemaster , I don't check the
> > differents carefully and choose the " i " option directly most of the
> > time . Now , all the network programmes can't work , I can't ping
> > localhost/127.0.0.1 , I can't use " tcpdump " , the c/s kinds like
> > xserver also go bad ; when the system start , many warnings such as
> > "...see rc.conf(5)" after dmesg messages.
> > How can I deal with it ?
> > Thanks!

I had a similar problem just yesterday.  Running mergemaster again did not fix
the issue.

In my situation I messed up the /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  It gave me several
error messages on boot up similar to yours.  I just copied the rc.conf from
the examples directory and replaced the rc.conf in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
Then I did a:

shutdown now
exit

It was working okay when I left this morning.

I am not sure if this is a good idea or not.  I just know it seems to have
solved my problem.  I would keep a backup of the original file somewhere in
case you need to revert back to the original.

Chuck