Samba and fstab

Ken Stevenson ken at allenmyland.com
Tue Feb 7 11:22:57 PST 2006

A. Clausen wrote:
> Slowly educating myself in FreeBSD.  Have managed to get Samba set up
> and can access my FreeBSD server, but trying to get SMBFS shares mounted
> in fstab is causing me grief.  Either I get errors about invalid file
> system or I get nothing at all when I issue "mount -a", but the share
> still isn't mounted.  I've tried adding some info to nsmb.conf, but that
> doesn't seem to make much difference.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 6 and Samba 3.0.14a.

Are you trying to mount Windows shares under Samba? If so here's what
my fstab looks like:

//ken at amiserver/c	/smb/amiserver	smbfs	rw	0	0

I'm mounting the share named c on a Windows 2000 server named
amiserver at the mount point /smb/amiserver on my FreeBSD server.

Edit /etc/nsmb.conf and set the workgroup, addr and password values
for your windows share.

--
Ken Stevenson
Allen-Myland Inc.