sshd possible breakin attempt messages

Nigel (Merv) Hughes merv at merv.org.uk
Tue Feb 7 01:13:09 PST 2006

Hi Brad,

I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of FreeBSD or Security, but I
resently had the same problem as you. I found that the Denyhosts port
(http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/index.html) fixed the problem very well.

The non-standard, host.evil, set-up works best with the FreeBSD host.allow
format. You end up with a host.allow that looks a bit like this:

#
# Denyhost Cron Job checks the logs and adds
# the bad IPs to hosts.evil
#
ALL: /usr/local/etc/hosts.evil : deny

#
# Trust everyone until the logs say they tried a bad thing.
#
ALL : ALL : allow

The FAQs on the website are very good and the Denyhosts' config file is well
commented so the set-up and install is very easy.

I hope this helps.

Merv