Possibility to submit requests for new ports?

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:45:12 PST 2006

On 2/7/06, FreeBSD Prospect <mailings.freebsd at o0l0o.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering, if there is any communication channel to request new ports.
>
> I mean, isn't it likely, that a FreeBSD user (not a codergeek able to create
> ports himself) is looking for some software, which is available open-source
> for Linux, but hasn't been ported yet?
>
> Wouldn't it be useful, to have an own mailing list for that?
>
> Or is freebsd-ports thought to be suiteable for that matter (I am subscribed
> to that mailing-list, but didn't see much traffic until now, and no port
> requests at all)?

It's in the nature of the OSS that the bulk of development
happens in the areas interesting to the developers
themselves. Unless you're willing to pay, you'll have to
explain that this program is really great - then someone
might get interested in making a port.

But don't get frustrated if you're the only one, who needs
a port and nobody is willing to help you. Usually it only
takes a few minutes to port a small utility - and it's far
easier to learn basic make syntax than a fully fledged
programming language. Many FreeBSD users start
making ports within the first year of using this wonderful
OS.