Possibility to submit requests for new ports?

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Mon Feb 6 13:22:49 PST 2006

FreeBSD Prospect wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I was wondering, if there is any communication channel to request new ports.
>
>I mean, isn't it likely, that a FreeBSD user (not a codergeek able to create
>ports himself) is looking for some software, which is available open-source
>for Linux, but hasn't been ported yet?
>
>Wouldn't it be useful, to have an own mailing list for that?
>
>Or is freebsd-ports thought to be suiteable for that matter (I am subscribed
>to that mailing-list, but didn't see much traffic until now, and no port
>requests at all)?

Hello,

I think freebsd-ports@ is suitable for that. It's true that we don't see
port request there. Maybe this is beacuse the most used softwares are
already ported. But I think new ideas are always welcome. Not only
committers can help you, there are a lot of contributors subscribed to
the freebsd-ports@ list, so please feel free to write there and maybe
somebody will take care of your request.

Cheers,

Gabor Kovesdan