motherboard recommendations for 6.0

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 12:21:42 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:20:43PM +0100, lars wrote:

> Peter <petermatulis at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > It's time to set up another box to act as file server and I'm at the
> > crucial motherboard-choice stage.  I'm looking for recommendations for an
> > i386 single-cpu mid-price board that work well with FreeBSD 6.0-stable.  I
> > don't see the point in buying an Intel cpu but if you do then please make
> > your point.  Thanks a lot.
> >
> > --
> > Peter
> ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODk5
>
> Why? Because it works with FreeBSD, it's cool [C/F], it's fast
> and it has all the necessary connectors.
>
> I use it as a desktop.

I built a workstation using an Asus A8N-E and it works fine. It looks
like mine is a previous iteration of the same board.

The onboard NIC didn't work though, so I stumped up for a new card:
3C905

Running 6.0-RELEASE fine.

It's got plenty of room for hard drives (4 SATA and 2 legacy on mine)
should you choose to use RAID.

It takes a goodly variety of AMD CPUs. (Socket 939)

BTW, I used an Antec Sonata case which is probably also a good buy.
Quiet with rubber mounted drive bays and little fighting required to
fix things in the case.

--

 Frank

echo "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed 's/ //g'