Any good OpenGL games?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Feb 4 23:20:29 PST 2006

Xn Nooby wrote:
> On 2/4/06, Alastair G. Hogge <agh at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 05 February 2006 12:06, Xn Nooby wrote:
>>
>>> I have a P4 2Ghz with an nVidia card, so I installed the nVidia driver.
>>> I'm currently installing 'linux-enemyterritory' which I think will work. I didn't know if there were any other good ones.  Is flightgear or gl117 any good?
>>>
>> I just installed jfduke3d and downloaded the high res texture
>> pack...brings an
>> old great game back to life.
>>

> Ah that was a great game back in the day of 'lan parties' !
>

>> I also have wine on my system, is it difficult to get windows opengl games to run?
>>
>> OpenGL MS-Windows games under Wine seem to work ok.
>> DirectX games are a little slow in my opinion.
>>

> Have you tried any I might have heard of?  Maybe Silent Assassin or City of
> Heroes? (I'm not sure if they are OpenGL).  I've only used wine for zip,
> 7zip, winrar, freeagent, and some other utilty apps.  I wonder if wine will
> detect that I later installed the nvidia OpenGL driver?

Only if the game is purely OpenGL. Cedega and Winex produce mixed
results at best. You could run Half-Life 1 with a bit of hacking if you
wanted perfectly fine. The first time I played the game all the way
through it was in Linux :).

Good luck with DirectX stuff though since Microsoft is good at making
installing fun, and you do need Cedega or Winex if you attempt to play
those types of games...
-Garrett