Any good OpenGL games?

Xn Nooby xnooby at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 22:32:05 PST 2006

On 2/4/06, Alastair G. Hogge <agh at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Sunday 05 February 2006 12:06, Xn Nooby wrote:
> > I have a P4 2Ghz with an nVidia card, so I installed the nVidia driver.
> > I'm currently installing 'linux-enemyterritory' which I think will
> work.  I
> > didn't know if there were any other good ones.  Is flightgear or gl117
> any
> > good?
> I just installed jfduke3d and downloaded the high res texture
> pack...brings an
> old great game back to life.

Ah that was a great game back in the day of 'lan parties' !

> I also have wine on my system, is it difficult to get windows opengl games
> > to run?
> OpenGL MS-Windows games under Wine seem to work ok.
> DirectX games are a little slow in my opinion.

Have you tried any I might have heard of?  Maybe Silent Assassin or City of
Heroes? (I'm not sure if they are OpenGL).  I've only used wine for zip,
7zip, winrar, freeagent, and some other utilty apps.  I wonder if wine will
detect that I later installed the nvidia OpenGL driver?

> I've heard of cedega on linux, but would rather roll my own free
> > solution if possible (or copy someone elses method).
> >
> > Playing "Call of Duty" would be ideal, or maybe Return to Castle
> > Wolfenstein.
> RtCW under Wine runs fines...most id games do I think. Also there is Linux
> binary of RtCW which is probably a better method then Wine.

Is this one a FreeBSD native RTCW?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/pds.cgi?ports/games/rtcw

I lost my old Window pk3 file, but it looks they are free now:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/games/rtcw-paks/

I will try it when Enemy Territory finishes.  It's taken 5 hours to download
ET, whoever is hosting 250MB file isnt giving up much bandwidth.  But its
free, so I'm not complaining. Much, lol.

thanks!