Why does portsdb -Uu run so long?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Feb 4 09:31:17 PST 2006

Denny White wrote:

> Today Xn Nooby spake forth boldly:
>
>>> It just does, after you cvsup new ports cd into /usr/ports and type
>>> make fetchindex. what way is the "old foolproof way"?
>>>

>> Here is how I update my system (without using a 'make fetchindex')
>>
>>  cvsup -g -L 2 /root/stable-supfile
>>  less UPDATING
>>  make buildworld
>>  make buildkernel
>>  make installkernel
>>  shutdown now
>>  cd /usr/src
>>  make installworld
>>  mergemaster
>>  shutdown -r now
>>  portsdb -Uu
>>  portversion -l "<"
>>  portupgrade -arR
>>  reboot
>>
>> It takes forever, but it works everytime.  Everything else I've ever
>> tried
>> has always had some kind of error, and I never know what they mean or
>> what I
>> should do.
>>
>> Maybe by never doing a fetchindex, I've never really updated my
>> system, and
>> thats why its never had a problem, lol. That would be embarassing.
>

> Try portsdb -uUF

I'm beginning to think it should be, "try reading the manpage",
where portsdb suggests that unless "you define special macros
in /etc/make.conf and the dependency of some ports are changed",
`portsdb -Fu` is your best option (fetch the pre-built INDEX and
then make index.db locally).

The reason `portsdb -Uu` takes so long is that it has a lot of
work to do on a very large file tree.

Oh, and I love Nikolas's "nice +20 portupgrade", but only if it is
scripted over the weekend or something.  I'll have to try it.

Kevin Kinsey

--
[Prime Minister Joseph] Chamberlain loves
the working man, he loves to see him work.