Dumping /usr to samba mounted drive

Gayn Winters gayn.winters at bristolsystems.com
Sat Feb 4 08:24:38 PST 2006

Mike,

I think our very own M.K. McKusick is credited with inventing UFS for
BSD 4.something.  I'm sure others on this list know the history better
than I do.  In particular, I don't know the historical difference
between FFS, UFS and UFS1.  [If one of you history buffs can elucidate,
please do so!] In any case, it looks like Apple chose an implementation
at the low end of the range of possible implementations.  Here is a
chart that I find useful:
http://www.mrsci.com/Computer-File-Systems/Comparison_of_file_systems.ph
Note the range of possible maximum file sizes on UFS1.  Also note the
4GB limit on FFS.  History aside, a 4GB limit for any modern file system
seems somewhat backward, especially for an avant garde company like
Apple.  Maybe they got carried away with the "mini" in "Mac mini"!

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.
714/532-6776
www.bristolsystems.com