Script to generate names

Adam Nealis adamnealis at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 08:13:48 PST 2006

Kristian Vaaf wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm looking for pointers on how to make a simple shell script that will
> generate new names based on words (one word per line) from two different
> files, and output these to a third file.
>
> This would be nice to come up with new cool names,
> either for business or pleasure.
>
> The first file will be a list of custom words.
> The second file will be /usr/local/share/dict/words.
>
> If the first word in the custom list is "apathy" and the first word in the
> dictionary file is "alien", it will generate:
>
> apathyalien
> alienapathy
>
> To a third file. And then continue with the rest of the words ...
>
> A friend told me I could do something like this:
>
> for i in $(<list1) $(<list2) ; do echo -n $i ; done && echo >> list 3

That's going to ba a large file of mixed words!

Would be faster in perl than in the shell. Put the below in a file, and
run it like this:

perl myfile.pl > myListOfMixedWords

#!/usr/bin/perl

use warnings;
use strict;

my @custw;
my @dictw;
my $cw;
my $dw;
my $i;

open F1, "web2.head-100";
open F2, "web2.tail-100";

while ( chomp ( $custw[$i++] = <F1> ) ) { }

$i=0;
while ( chomp ( $dictw[$i++] = <F2> ) ) { }

foreach $cw ( @custw ) {
    foreach $dw ( @dictw ) {
       print "$cw$dw\n";
       print "$dw$cw\n";